Saturday, July 20, 2013

I have started making some of my jewelry pieces with Sterling Silver. I've held off doing so before now because the price of silver was so high. With the prices coming down I have been able to order some wire to sculpt with.

One of the ways I found to reduce my costs of sterling silver was to use Argentium Sterling Silver. This silver is a modern sterling silver alloy (fairly new on the market) which modifies the traditional alloy (92.5% silver + 7.5% copper) by replacing some of the copper with Germanium. As it retains the same 92.5% silver content, it is still sterling silver.

I have found that this Argentium Sterling Silver is just as beautiful as traditional sterling, but it does have one advantage. Less tarnishing!! And as everyone who owns silver jewelry knows, the tarnishing of your favorite pieces is a real bummer.

Also because the Argentium is less expensive I feel a real freedom to create pieces without fear of costly waste.

Here is a recent piece I created with the beautiful Argentium Sterling Silver wire.
This is an Australian Pink Opal gemstone surrounded by Rhodonite beads on the left and Rose Quartz beads on the right.

This was a custom order from a client.
You can view more of my creations at https:/www.facebook/thetwistedgem.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment