Monday, March 25, 2013

Rock and Gem Show Delights

I love a good Rock and Gem Show and the 2103 Gem, Mineral, Fossil and Rock Show held in Cedar Rapids, Iowa - March 16th and 17th did not disappoint. This shindig is put on by the Cedar Valley Rock Club and I try to go every year!

I picked up some great Lapis Lazuli beads. Keep an eye out for the new pendants I'll be creating with them!

There was a huge Asian T-Rex display and lots of Iowa fossils, but my favorite booth is always PV's Rocks. 

I also picked up a couple of mineral specimens for my collection. I love to get unusual pieces for the Twisted Gem's show display. They make a great background for the jewelry I make.

Here is a piece of Calcite from the Chihuahua Mexico region. New to my collection!

This piece will look great with the copper wire I use for some of my designs. 

And I always try to pick up some good ole USA rock too!! This piece of Dolomite is from one of the quarries near Black Rock Arkansas. It has a pearly pink color and is really quite beautiful.


I was also able to pick up some glass-topped showcases. As usual, I spent too much money, but I suppose there are worse habits to have.

I was on the lookout for some great cabachons, but found the pricing a bit steep. Even though I prefer supporting local rock clubs and rock shops, even I refuse to over pay. At any rate, this year was another great show. If you get a chance, hop on over to the Cedar Valley Rock Club website:   http://cedarvalleyrockclub.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment